By Jiselle Lee
As of March 31st, 2020, all of REACH’s events will be cancelled or postponed until the end of spring. Although we cannot continue our regular volunteer activities during this time, it is still possible to safely help people in need within our community. Here are some ways we can continue our REACH volunteer activities while remaining within the social distancing protocols:
1) Donate supplies to local non-profit organizations
As some of you may know, REACH volunteers with United Against Poverty and The Sharing Center, both of which work to prevent homelessness and hunger in the Orange County and Seminole County areas. During this increased time of need, they are remaining open to aid low-income families.
In addition to the massive growing need of food supplies in the country, The Sharing Center is in desperate need of cleaning supplies:
More information on how you can help can be found here: http://thesharingcenter.org/coronavirus-update/8235068
2) Donate to national relief funds from home
You can donate to organizations such as the CDC Foundation, the Center for Disaster Philanthropy COVID-19 Response Fund, Feeding America, Meals on Wheels, and more from home.
- The CDC Foundation supports the critical health protection work of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Donate Here: https://give.cdcfoundation.org/give/269833/#!/donation/checkout
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy COVID-19 Response Fund supports nonprofit organizations working in areas identified as having high numbers of affected individuals and those working with the most vulnerable populations. (This helps with purchasing masks, gowns, gloves, and other protective equipment to healthcare workers.)
Donate Here: https://disasterphilanthropy.org/donate-to-the-cdp-covid-19-response-fund/
- Feeding America will help food banks across the country support the most vulnerable communities affected by the pandemic.
Donate Here: https://www.feedingamerica.org
- Meals on Wheels delivers nutritious meals to the country’s most vulnerable seniors.
Donate Here: https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org
3) Use your platform to advocate for the individuals and organizations that need our help
If you cannot personally donate or volunteer for these organizations, reach out to those who can! Post online the importance of staying home and washing your hands! Spread awareness online about the nonprofit organizations that need our help!
REACH, Recognizing Experiencing Asian Cultural Heritage, strives to bring together and help all members of the community. During this time, we must do what we can to help those around us.